Thursday, April 03, 2008

Just the Thing

Having been left in a general funk since my father passed, I should have known better than to lay aside my knitting. For several weeks, I felt as though I was just going through the motions of life, and that was just one motion I wasn't interested in. It seemed extraneous.

I'm thankful for my children. As much as I enjoy a peaceful house when they are not around, they have a way of figuratively smacking you in the face ala Cher in Moonstruck. My father told me one day, as I gave him an 'are-you-nuts' look, that I was really lucky. At the time we were at his house, and the kids were running around being kids and loud. He said that he sat in his quiet house, with no demands on his time or attention, and thought about how lucky I was to be living in barely controlled chaos.

The smack came about two weeks after we laid my father to rest, and The Girl reminded me that I had promised several Sheldon's for her, Thing 1 and 2, The Boy (who's almost 12 and still wants one, may he never become jaded), Cousin D and Cousin B. She also pointed out that I've had the yarn in my stash for close to a year!

What a smart girl I have. She knew that what I needed to get over my funk was something that I could see progress on almost imediately, and it was in a cheery color, not grey or brown like the other two endless projects.

So, here is a legless (not Legolas) Sheldon. The legs are stuffed and ready to be attached.

sheldon

I just need to stop the kidlets from arguing about who gets the first one.

And as for the other projects...I'm on sleeve two of the 'go to' sweater. And I've finished the front of the Husband's aran, and started the sleeves.

sleeves

I'm doing them at the same time on the Knitpicks Options (love me some Options). This will be my weekend in Gurnee, Illinois for the kidlets regional karate tournament project. I have to have something to do to keep from noticing my numb, two day, bleacher sitting arse! My apologies to the wonderful people of Gurnee, but there is absolutely nothing to do in your little burg. Unless you go to Six Flags, which isn't open yet.

And proof that spring will soon be warming us up...starter plants!

basil
Basil and Cosmos

thyme
Thyme

tomato
And the mighty Tomato

We also have rosemary and nicotaina coming up. I'm still waiting on the sweet pepper, jalapeno, and eggplant.

No comments: