Tuesday, December 01, 2009

It's Why I Knit

We've been going through a bit of a rough patch here lately. My kind, sweet grandmother-in-law recently passed away. The family (her children) didn't want her to be alone during her final days, so it was my privilege to "granny sit" while she was living at the in-laws and later hospice. I would take a turn giving those that were much more closely attached to her a chance to run errands, visit with others outside of Granny's range of hearing, or so they could take a much needed "emotion break".

Having gone through this with my own mother, sometimes those closest to the person who is slowly fading away needs a little time out of the highly emotional epicenter. All the while, I was knitting.

Not a week later, I had to have Wally the cat put down. He was only 7 years old, and had a massive tumor in his stomach. He was a very independent feline. He ignored the kidlets, tolerated me, and he only really liked the Husband. I was ambivalent towards him. He was just another life form in the house that needed to be fed and cleaned regularly. I still cried when the vet put him to sleep. He died like he lived, hissing and growling. I guess he did this to make it easier on me. Maybe he did like me.

But as I sat at the vet's for an hour and a half waiting for test results and x-rays. I knit.

Wednesday I have to have an MRI for a weird bump that showed up suddenly on my spine. It's probably nothing. Tomorrow, the Gaggs (my MIL) is having surgery to have a defibrillator inserted for her heart.

The Husband mentioned tonight that he's not been able to shake an anxious feeling he's had all day. I know it's a culmination of the stress of the past weeks that doesn't look like it's going to slow down for a while.

My response to him? "Why do you think I knit?"

No comments: