Sunday, September 07, 2008

I Have a Girl Crush







When I started this blog, I made a vow to myself to stay away from political discussions. This was strictly to be about knitting. Seeing as how I'm not the fastest knitter on the planet, and mentioning that I've joined the sleeves to the Sitcom Chic body is, let's be honest now, not the most exciting thing to read. Although it is very exciting to me. This means I may actually have a sweater I can wear the moment it comes off the needles. Unlike the wooly 'go to' sweater I finished in time for 80 F weather.





Any who, politics. I find myself very excited about this presidential election. Look what has happened in the past year. This is the first presidential election in which we have had a woman and an African-American with a real possibility of winning the office of President. For the first time there is a woman on the slate for VP that people can get really get worked up over. I just don't remember Geraldine Ferraro getting people talking the way Sarah Palin is. I seem to remember Ferraro being dismissed by the opposition as 'not a threat'.





But I believe that Sarah Palin has the Democrats worried. Worried that she just might be what the Republicans needed to win the election. Why else would they drag up any little thing they can about her? Good heavens, her husband had a DUI 22 years ago! She is clearly not suitable to be VP (this is where you read that last sentence with a sarcastic tone).





Shame on anyone that infers that she is not a good mother, because she had a Down Syndrome baby and went back to work 3 days later. Shame on you for stating that she shouldn't even be running for VP because of baby Trig or her pregnant daughter. This would be a non-issue if she were a man.





For those of you that feel she should be spending more time with Trig, Alaska's "First Dude" works part time, and as anyone with a large family knows, the older children are usually drafted to do their part. So I'd be willing to bet that Trig isn't missing out on attention.




Her pregnant teenage daughter should be off limits. It is a family issue and should remain a family issue. Even Sen. Obama has said so.




I don't necessarily agree with her position on abortion and same sex marriage, but I do admire the woman. Any woman that can co-helm a family of seven, run a state government, and field dress a moose is o.k. I can't even manage to get to the grocery before we run out of milk.

No comments: