Friday, September 15, 2006

Think Pink

The gang at Soulful Knitting Ministries have started a pink ribbon challenge for knitters and crocheters. They are asking for handknit or crochet pink scarves to be donated to the American Cancer Society to let victims of breast cancer that the prayers and good wishes of all the women that made scarves are with them.

You can find more information here.

This is a great opportunity to use up that "leftover" pink yarn in your stash. You know the ones I'm talking about. It's leftover from the sweater that you made your daughter years ago that you can't bring yourself to get rid of because it's YARN dadgummit!

I will have to go buy some yarn, although I do have some pink yarn that I just found at my Dad's house from a project I started 20 some odd years ago that I forgot about(see previous post). I don't think it will make a good scarf for someone going through chemo. I know when my Mom went through chemo her skin was a bit more sensitive.

This is a disease that will eventually touch all of us in some way. I pray that it doesn't, but someone you know will have a fight with breast cancer. Both of my grandmothers, an aunt, and my mother had/have breast cancer. Maybe, I've bettered your odds of not having to deal with this insidious desease. Obviously, this is something I feel strongly about.

I urge you to spend a weekend making up a scarf to let these brave, fantastic, beautiful women know that there are total strangers wishing them all the best, and giving them a hug via scarf.

No comments: