Thursday, September 21, 2006

It's no Rhinebeck

This past weekend I and the kidlets(had to take them, the husband was working, no babysitter) attended A Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs, Ohio(charming little town). I had an o.k. time, it would have been better had I not had to drag the kidlets along. They were relatively well behaved, until the tractor ride melt-down by Thing Two.

There were sheep shearing demos...

sheepshear1

sheepshear2

There was also a sheep herding dog demo(sorry I didn't get pics) that the kidlets enjoyed. The dogs 'herded' ducks into a wading pool, through a tunnel and over a bridge.

There were also a few alpacas and angora bunnies. And this cute little Shetland sheep.
shetlandsheep
I liked that many of the vendors in attendance were 'locals'. They all had beautiful yarn, but there was a greater preponderance of roving. Too bad I don't know how to spin. The alpaca fleece from Cupola Alpaca Farm was heavenly. They are having an open house this weekend for anyone interested in starting their own alpaca herd. I'd love to start one, but I'm not sure Brunnhilde would be able to behave herself.

Look what she did to my $15 10.5 Addis.
brunnaddi

addi


Amazing that she managed to knaw them in half with out damaging the sweater or dropping a stitch. Stupid mutt. Well, in her defense, I did leave my knitting in her chair.
machoodie
I was using the Addis on the daughter's hoodie. Luckily I had come to the part where you divide for the armholes and work back and forth so I was able to switch to straights. This is the sweater that I had finished the front and back and decided it was going to be too big. I also decided that I'd rather do it in the round, so I plugged her measurements and the gauge into the Sweater Wizard, and Bob's your uncle, I got a new pattern. No pesky math. I love Sweater Wizard. It's the older version, but I got it on ebay for way less than it would have cost if it were the current version.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I've got a flyer of Cinci area alpaca breeders having open houses this Sunday. Pity I'll be at an agility trial. :(